Sunday, March 12, 2017

2006 Spyker C12 La Turbie

In March 1922, the Dutch nobleman Hugo Baron van Pallandt entered his standard Spyker C4 Tourer in the hill climb held on the Mont de La Turbie near Monte Carlo and won outright with an average speed of 45 km/h. He covered the distance in 11 minutes. In commemoration of this win, the 2006 12 cylinder Spyker would bear the name LaTurbie.

The Spyker C12 LaTurbie, made it's debut in 2005 as the Spyker C12 Spyder (photos below) was be the first Spyker to run the extremely powerful 6.0 L Audi W12 dry sump aluminium engine. This car had a power output of 500 bhp and a gigantic torque of 600 NM. Top speed was 325 km/h or 202 mph with an acceleration of 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 3.9 seconds. Weight of the car was a mere 1400 kg. The car would be fitted with a manual six-speed gearbox. 

The C12 LaTurbie was fitted with Spyker's in-house designed 19" AerobladeT wheels as standard. Further specifications included rear wheel drive with Drexler limited slip differential, ABS and a light weight aluminium space frame with integrated roll cage. The double twin exhausts made the overwhelming signature Spyker sound. (ultimatecarpage.com)

There are two variations of the La Turbie. Of this convertible model, 25 have been made and all have been sold. The other variation, a coupe, has a special body designed by ZagatoThis is Spyker's third long wheel based car, after the C8 Double12 S and the C8 Double12 Spyder, which have V8 engines instead. The price of the car in 2006 was $290,000 (£253,430). (wikipedia & netcarshow.com)























2005 Spyker C12 Spyder Prototype 



 (Photos from ultimatecarpage.com, bin3aiah.net)


Sunday, February 12, 2017

1956 Ghia Supersonic Aston Martin DB2/4

Aston Martin was a very successful manufacturer of small (cycle-fendered) sports cars in the 1930s. At the 1950 New York Auto Show, the production version of the six cylinder car was launched. Dubbed the DB2, it featured a 2.6 litre version of the Lagonda six cylinder engine and sported an attractive two-door coupe body penned by Frank Feeley. The new Aston Martin was an immediate hit and the small factory could hardly cope with the orders.

From 1951 onwards, the DB3 were specifically built for racing purposes and the DB2 served as a road car only. The first major revision to the successful two-seater was the addition of two rear seats in 1953, which resulted in the aptly named DB2/4. Like the DB2, the four-seater was available as a fixed and drop head. The hard top model was the first car to ever feature a 'hatch-back', used to access the rear luggage compartment. Several chassis were delivered to coachbuilders to have custom bodies fitted.

In 1956, the 3 litre version of the six cylinder engine was introduced to form the DB2/4 Mk II. The hatch-back was retained on Mk II, but a second fixed-head model was offered with a more conventional tapered roof. Aston Martin again made the chassis available to coach builders to have them fitted with custom bodies. 

One of just four DB2/4 Mark IIs supplied to Italian coach-builders, chassis AM300/1131 was sent to Ghia. Here it received the striking 'Supersonic' style coachwork that was also fitted to Fiat and Jaguar chassis in the same period. The first owner of the unique Supersonic Aston Martin was French-born American racing driver Harry Schell. It was shown at the Turin Show in 1956 but had disappeared from view until it resurfaced at the 2011 Pebble Beach Concours following a complete restoration. 

With the 3 litre straight 6 engine, this car can produce 182 bhp / 136 KW @ 5,500 rpm. (ultimatecarpage.com)

1956 Ghia Supersonic Aston Martin DB2/4 (chassis # AM300/1131)




























































A factory model of 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 





(Photos from rmsothebys.com, ultimatecarpage.com, 
conceptcarz.com, car-from-uk.com)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...